Saturday, June 14, 2014

SOUL ROAD





On a recent trip to the Elliot State Forest I turned off I-5 south of Eugene onto Hwy 38. Warm sunshine filled the air bringing summer into the van. It seems like my favorite road is the one I am traveling on at any given time, but Hwy 38 is really my "soul road" since it takes me home. My belief is that we all have a "soul road".  On mine ditches and banks are lined with familiar vegetation. I know their names, their habits and their seasons. I think that is one of the hallmarks of home, to be on a first name basis with the vegetation.

Daisies bloomed in profusion spreading  blankets of white up the banks and across the meadows. Purple peas and yellow mustard were interspersed for contrast.

Stopping at the small boat ramp / park between Hwy 38 and the Umpqua River I was taken with the jewel box of a river. High tide had it moving quickly and thickly as it fled seaward. Colored as an emerald topped with a sprinkling of diamond white caps it reflected the blue sky above. No wonder I love it.

The elk were in their meadow between the hills and the highway. The females and yearlings played "follow the leader" through the tall meadow grasses. Further along the old bulls were lazing about right out from the viewing spot. You would think they got paid to do that. While there, I got the most wonderful pix of a Red-winged Blackbird.

You must have a "soul road" that you can visit this season. Don't miss the opportunity. We can only count on having today, right now, get going! You won't regret it!








No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback. Please post a comment. And thanks for participating.