Sunday, May 18, 2014

METOLIUS MAMA MERGANSER & PIGGY-BACK BABIES


The Metolius River in Central Oregon is filled to the rim with surprises. While on the river walk trail this week I encountered the family pictured below. Mama Merganser with nine golf-ball size fuzzy babies. As they scrambled to hit the river and safety the water churned like a motor in a bath tub. It only took a blink of an eye for all nine ducklings to be lined up and ready to hop aboard Mom's back for the ride to the center of the river. They were all aboard and 30 yards away before I could count to two. It does look like Mom's "hair" is standing on end doesn't it? If I had nine little ones to shepherd around mine would probably fall out. Continuing on down the river trail as I snapped pix of the beautiful river my eyes came upon a bump on a log. Indeed, it was another female Common Merganser sunning herself. She had no chicks around so she was living the good life sitting there in the sun. Notice how tame her "hair" is compared to her sister.

Give me a note in the comment field if you want more posts along these lines...






3 comments:

  1. More! More! The only thing better is if I could have been there with you. I love what you're doing, and that you share it. What a treat.
    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  2. More, more! I enjoyed the river-walk and photos. I think you've posted Metolius glimpses before and I always think it looks like a place I want to go. I continue to enjoy your notes, as well as the pics, and hope you'll consider writing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures as always. Thanks for the walk along the Metolius trail and the duck story.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback. Please post a comment. And thanks for participating.