Sunday, December 1, 2013

Painted Hills of Oregon

The primary motivation in writing the book came from folks in campgrounds and other places asking me about my traveling alone in a van.  I tried to answer those questions in Tripping on a Shoestring and perhaps motivate other single adventuresome souls to get out and enjoy the world.  While setting up a van for camping and traveling may seem like intuitive child's play to some, to other's it is a daunting task.  My goal was to take out some of the guess work and hopefully help
keep cost to a minimum. Thereby, getting people on the trail to adventure and beautiful vistas as quickly as possible. After all, time is precious and we never get back a spent moment.

When I arrived at the Painted Hills in Oregon I nearly ran off the road from the sight of such unusual beauty.  Since I seemed to be the only one on the road that morning, I stopped where I was, hopped out, camera in hand and proceeded to snap, snap away.  Never mind the traffic building up behind me since a big SUV stopped just short of running my body over.

Ducking my head and waving thanks for not squishing me on the spot, I moved out of the way while they proceeded on up through the park.  When I arrived at the viewing area, I approached the driver of the SUV to offer my thanks.  I told him they would carve on my tombstone:  "But...she got an amazing picture". So I am including one here to illustrate.  Enjoy, and take me up on the challenge:  Go Explore!

9 comments:

  1. Vernelle -- Your photography is amazing. I love looking at all your photos.... Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words. I think we are all blessed with digital photography. How can we miss?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your picture of the Painted Hills. Where did you camp while in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right off Hwy 26 outside of Prineville is the Ochocho Summit. It is about 20 minutes from the Painted Hills. There is a nice little BLM campground right at the summit sign.

      Delete
  4. Nice start, please add more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you got any trips planned in the near future? . . . . . Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could have come to your book signing in Salem, hope you had a great turnout. . . . Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Vernelle, love the blog! Just wanted to comment that when I was in the 4th grade we lived in Fossil Oregon. I remember mom driving between Portland and Fossil every other month or so to go see friends or family and we would often take a route that took us through the painted hills. I was very amazed even at that ho-hum age at the incredible beauty. Seems I remember seeing big herds of elk almost every time we went through too. Gotta take my kids now. Thanks for the reminder of how much I loved this place.

    Good travels!

    Jim N.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In awe of nature's beauty! Great photography! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback. Please post a comment. And thanks for participating.