Tuesday, January 14, 2014

CROSS EVERY BRIDGE YOU COME TO

You have always heard "don't cross that bridge until you come to it".  Well, I think the better advise is:  Plan to cross every bridge you come to.  You never know what lies beyond.  The Pacific Northwest is covered with a network of roads all "filled in" with bridges.  Bridges, some no larger than a culvert and  others span more than a mile.  Cross them all, stop and go under them, walk across them and feel how different the air is while standing there.  Fish from them. Take your camera and snap away from the center of them.  Some of my favorite pix are from under bridges.  They are mini cathedrals.   Check out the way the water swirls, flows around the feet of your bridge.

While taking pix of the John Day River in the middle of a bridge, I had to duck the dive-bombing swallows who thought I was invading their territory.  And, I was.  But I was not there to hurt them, just to observe them. The underside of that bridge was a veritable condominium for  hundreds of swallows.  Just think how many mosquitoes they ate each evening!

The bridge in this posts pix is the McCullough Bridge crossing Coos Bay going into North Bend and is part of the Highway 101 system.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beauty rivals the arches in France and Italy. Probably those of other old countries, too, but I've only seen the ones I've mentioned. Nice shot! It really IS being there at the right time, isn't it? Billie

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback. Please post a comment. And thanks for participating.